banana bread

Friday, April 15, 2011
I've been thinking alot about my childhood and the influences my parents had on me, and how they've emerged in my adult life. My SIL has a pretty serious case of the baby-wants and she wrote a list about the things she wanted to do before taking the leap to become a parent. I have that list and mentally I'm checking things off, but what's more important to me, is what impression I will leave on my children, like my parents have left on me.

Like I've done before, to my current husband, I will write a list to my future children of what to expect and hopefully they will enjoy the ride and appreciate every quirk just as much as I love the ones my parents gave to me.


You will not know what store bought cookies taste like until you are old enough to buy them.

No matter what your Grandma G says, we are not naming you Kirby. You are not a pink cloud or a vacuum.

Your father and I will dance randomly throughout the day. Please follow along.

From birth, you will outfitted in a eeny-meenie Canucks jersey.

Your Grandma C and Grandpa P will probably take you to Disneyland. ALOT. Please don't be scared of Mickey.


You already have 2 furry siblings. They have wet noses and like to cuddle. Please don't pull their tails.

Auntie Stubbs will probably buy you a tiny juicy tracksuit. We might consider it, but then again you are not a tiny 20 year old whore.

Sundays are for cooking, baking and family dinners. Whether it's just us, or the whole family, that's what Sundays are for. Don't make plans.

In my own mind, I think I am the best singer ever. Especially when inside the car. I apologize in advance.


Grandpa J and Grandma J make really good breakfasts. Especially hash browns. Side note : My dad does kick ass at breakfast making.

I hope one day when you get old enough, you will make this banana bread. It came from my mom and it's a staple. Even if you make small changes it's okay, just use this base recipe. Pretty please.



Banana Bread
[ from my mom ]

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup vegetable oil or melted butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 very ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with non stick spray, set aside.

In a large bowl, stir together white sugar, brown sugar and oil. Once combined, add eggs, one at a time, stirring vigorously to combine well. Add vanilla and stir. Pour in flour, baking soda and salt, stir until just combined and no dry spots remaining. Fold in mashed banana and chocolate chips, the banana doesn't have to be mashed into baby food, it can have a little bit of texture to it.

Pour batter into prepared pan and top with more chocolate chips. Bake for 60 minutes or until tester inserted into center comes out clean. Let rest for 10 minutes and then run a knife along all the edges of the loaf pan and turn bread out. Let cool completely on a wire rack before slicing.


Spread slices with butter and enjoy like my mom or eat plain like me. Wrap any leftovers tightly in plastic wrap.