cheddar muffins

Saturday, December 4, 2010

I've kind of taken a break from the blog world. Just a small break I promise.  You may notice a badge on the right hand side of the screen for NaBloPoMo. It means that you have to post once a day for a month, you can do it any month of the year, but November is the big one. So I thought, hey why not. It was hard some days, but I felt good sharing my adventures with the people of the internets. But it also felt good to have a couple days off.

But now I'm back! And I brought gifts! Cheddar gifts!


The husband went to his second stag party of the weekend, for the same man. So me and the cats have been hanging out, baking and cleaning. Wild night I know. It's nice though, I'm having part of the family over tomorrow so I wanted to prepare as much as I can. Considering the husband was still getting sick 30 minutes before leaving for tonight's events, I doubt he'll be much help tomorrow.

These muffins are for tomorrows dinner, which is being held to celebrate her 25th birthday. She's gluten intolerant so she can't even eat these. She'll probably be mad, but I won't hear her because I'll be chewing on a delicious muffin.

Plus she's getting a special cake.


Cheddar muffins


[loosely adapted from thekitchn]

1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups finely ground corn meal
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and divided
2 tablespoons honey
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line and/or grease a 12 cup standard muffin tin.

Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. In a separate small bowl, beat the eggs, buttermilk, 5 tablespoons of the melted butter and honey.

Create a well in the dry ingredients, pour in wet ingredients, mix to combine. Add cheese and mix well.

Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins, I use a large spring loaded ice cream scoop to get even amounts. Brush top with remaining melted butter.

Bake for 20 - 25 minutes until tops are golden brown. Mine took 20 minutes.

Makes 12 muffins, 12 less than your sister can eat.