toasted coconut cookies

Saturday, November 13, 2010

I have a new obsession. Toasted coconut.


I've never been a huge fan of anything coconut. I like it in hand cream but coconut flavoured anything is not delicious to me. I dislike pina coladas, dislike coconut flavoured candies, anything with that plasticy coconut flavour.

These cookies have changed my mind. These cookies make me feel like summer even though it's near freezing outside. Okay maybe it's not as cold as eastern Canada, but for Vancouver, it's cold. They just are so light and crunchy and I love the almond extract in them. These ones are a keeper. Although my husband asks me how I can incorporate chocolate into them. Usually I'll cave and I'll try to add chocolate to whatever I'm making, but not this time. they are fantastic on their own.

Although, if I were to use them for anything but eating on their own I think they would make amazing ice cream sandwich cookies with Dulce de leche ice cream. But don't tell my husband that.

p.s.  even though he said they needed chocolate, he's eaten at least 6.  Over 2 hours. Guess he didn't miss the chocolate.

p.p.s I'm eating one right now. And I could have at least 3 more. Right now.

Toasted coconut cookies


[adapted from Big Fat Cookies ]

1 1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract

Position rack in middle of the oven. Preheat to 300 degrees.

Spread coconut on a baking sheet, bake for around ten minutes, stirring once or twice, until coconut becomes evenly browned. Please keep an eye on the coconut, it can burn quite quickly. Set aside to cool and turn oven temperature to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.

Sift together flour, salt, baking powder and cinnamon in a medium bowl.

Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about a minute. Scrape sides of bowl as needed during mixing. Add egg, vanilla and almond extract, beat until well combined.
On low speed, add the flour mixture and mix until just combined. Using a large spoon (or your hands like me) stir in toasted coconut.

Divide dough into two portions and pat into a rectangle. Tear two large sheets of wax paper, roll dough out between the wax paper into a 7x12 inch rectangle, about 1/4 inch thick. Remove top piece of wax paper and cut into your favourite shape. I started with a heart shape, but it was too big, so I switched to circles.

Lift cookies off the wax paper using an offset spatula and place onto the prepared baking sheets. If you're finding the cookies hard to lift off, place the dough in the fridge for a few minutes to harden up.

Bake one sheet at a time for 12 to 15 minutes or until the edges and bottoms are a golden brown.