ginger persimmon bread

Friday, November 12, 2010

Have you ever had a persimmon?

They look like an orange tomato and they taste like sugar. I've only been introduced to persimmons in the past few years, they are awesome for eating, but I was curious about baking with them.

Until now. 

A few days ago, in my google reader, I saw a recipe for ginger persimmon bread. I had to make it. I love any recipe that includes fresh ginger. I love that how I made this bread a few hours ago but my hands still smell like ginger. Plus I had some persimmons in the fridge. Destiny, I think so. 

I have to admit, I've been avoiding all this Christmas business until after Remembrance Day, but seriously I made this bread and it made my whole house smell like Christmas. The blend of ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon evoked my senses for winter. The warm, rich, spicy air reminded me that Christmas is coming. Which I will be ready for...eventually. For now, lets bask in the crisp November air and pray that the snow will stay on the mountains.
those sure are bite marks.

Ginger Persimmon Bread

[ from Joy the Baker, adapted from Epicurious ]


1/2 cup persimmon pulp
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup sugar
1/2 vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 heaping teaspoon fresh ground ginger
1/3 cup water
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x4x3 inch loaf pan and set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour and salt.

In a small bowl, whisk together persimmon pulp and baking soda. This will thicken the pulp just a smidge.

In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, oil, eggs, water, spices and fresh ginger. Once well mixed, whisk into persimmon mixture. Pour all the wet ingredients over the flour mixture all at once. Fold to incorporate. Once no floury bits remain, pour into prepared loaf pan.

Bake for 55 - 60 minutes, until a tester comes out clean.  Allow to cool in pan for 15 minutes before inverting and finishing cooling. Serve at room temperature

Will last for up to 5 days, well wrapped at room temperature.