lest we forget

Thursday, November 11, 2010

This day comes around every year and I've never seemed to take notice. Well I have appreciated the day off, but I'm coming to the realization that most people in my generation don't or haven't yet seen the importance of today.

Every year on November 11th, Canadians pause for a moment of silence to honour all those who have served our country during World War I, World War II, the Korean War and those serving today in Afghanistan.  We honour the over 1.5 million Canadians who have put their lives on the line to make our lives better, so we don't have to see the ravages of war. We don't have to experience the dangers that they have volunteered for.

Over the year there have been a few events that have really brought my patriotism and pride for our service men and women to light. I realize now that without the selfless sacrifice of these men and women, past and present, I wouldn't here. My great-grandparents both served during World War II, my grandparents couldn't have immigrated to Canada from Holland without the help of the allied forces which included Canadian forces.

I'm not trying to preach nor am I trying to change your point of view, I just am letting you know my opinion. All I ask is that you take a moment to appreciate all the heroic things these people do to make our lives what they are today.

In memory of Pte. Garrett Chidley and the 151 Canadian soldiers who gave their lives in Afghanistan since February 2002.