banana bread biscotti

Monday, November 28, 2011

I'm just plain sleepy.

Between my day trip yesterday and my built-in alarm clock, who has a dance party at 5:30 every morning (I'm screwed by the way if this continues), I'm getting tired.


I start to lag later on in the day, I feel like drinking a bucketful of caffeine, constantly. I am that large, tired pregnant woman.

I wish I could sleep for days, but I can't. I have cookie exchanges to bake for, packing to start, blogging to do, cats to cuddle, babies to bake.


In amongst naps, I did make some cookies. They're even semi-healthy!

Banana bread biscotti. With whole wheat flour and NO chocolate. Although, next time I would add some walnuts and possibly dip them in chocolate, otherwise they taste pretty excellent with a cup of tea and a nap. No dipping of course.


Banana bread biscotti
[ from Company's Coming: Cookie jar classics ]

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/3 brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs
1 large egg white
1/2 cup mashed banana, about 1 large banana
1 teaspoons vanilla extract.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Combine the flours, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl, set aside.

In another large bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add the eggs white, mix well. Add the mashed banana and vanilla, mix until well combined. Stir in the flour mixture, beat until a safe dough forms. Turn dough out on to a lightly floured surface, knead 6 times. Shape into a 16-inch long log, place onto prepared baking sheet. Flatten top slightly.

Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden. Remove from oven and let stand for 15 minutes, or until cool enough to touch. Cut log diagonally into 1/2-inch slices using a serrated knife. Place slices onto baking sheets. Bake for another 10 minutes at 275 degrees, rotating baking sheets halfway through.


Turn oven off, turn slices over on baking sheets and let the sheets stand in the oven for 30 minutes, or until dry and crisp. Remove from oven and let cool completely on wire racks. Store in an airtight container.