spicy veggie chili

Thursday, October 20, 2011

I've been off meat lately. I never really ate a lot of it previously, mostly just chicken, but lately I'm just finding that I don't even need or want it at all.

Unfortunately in my current state, everyone and their dog has an opinion about what I should be putting into my body. For example, last week a lady came up to me and told me that I need more iron so I needed to go to butcher and get a small, beef tenderloin and have that at least once a week. I told her, red meat and I don't get along, at all and I'd rather not. She insisted that I just needed just a small piece and not to worry, I wouldn't get ill. Mmmm hmm, I don't want to take the chance, thankyouverymuch.

The husband insists that I don't go for sushi with our family because of cross-contamination with the raw fishes. but he insists that a glass of wine should be okay.

I'm already sick of people's opinions about what I should and should not do, and I have months left.

You don't need meat for protein. Ever heard of beans? The magical fruit? One of the best sources of protein on the planet, seriously, ask any vegan.


The easiest and most common way of getting your fill of beans is chili. Everyone knows how to make chili. Some people love spicy chili. I am one of those people.

For those who might miss meat, the bulgur wheat provides a real nutty flavour, with a texture of meat. Even my beef/bacon/pork/chicken loving husband ate it with pleasure.

Spicy veggie chili
[ from Epicurious ]

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
2 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced *
1 28oz can crushed tomatoes, with juice
3 cups water
2 15oz cans black beans, rinsed and drained
2 15oz cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup bulgur
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
5 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil. Add the onion, pepper, carrot, and jalapeno, saute until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, water, black beans, kidney beans, bulgur, vinegar, garlic, and spices. Stir to combine, bring to a boil, then reduce to medium heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring frequently. Bulgur should be tender. Ladle into bowls and serve.