apple crumble pie

Saturday, October 22, 2011


True facts about life.


I have a half soccer ball attached to me. It's kinda feeling weird to bend over.

I'm addicted to making pies.

Our car ran out of gas at 10pm last night when the husband had a craving for ice cream.



I did not get an ice cream. I think he's milking the pregnancy thing.

Jackson has been sick all week. He's kind of pathetic with his constant sleeping and weepy eye.

I finally finished painting my Canucks gnome that I started painting back in July.

Strollers are not cheap.


Actually, no baby things are cheap.

Somedays I just want to drink a bucket, literally a bucket of caffeine.

I feel strange about today's early game.  A 1pm start seems so weird.


I'm probably going to stay in my pajamas until Sunday afternoon.

I made this pie last weekend while I was all alone. It's another traditional pie, but who doesn't love the classics? Apple crumble pie.

I use a blend of granny smith and macintosh apples, to provide the right amount of tartness and sweetness, all topped with a crunchy oat, brown sugar, butter mixture that I could and will literally eat with a spoon.


I had a leftover disc of uncooked pie dough in the freezer from when I made the pumpkin pie, so luckily I didn't have to remake any dough. BUT feel free make a new batch of dough just to get your practice in. If you are going to freeze your dough, make sure to tightly wrap it in plastic wrap and then tin foil before placing in the freezer. Let the dough defrost overnight in the refrigerator, then let rest on the counter for about 20 minutes to come to slight room temperature before rolling. The dough should still be cool, but no longer frozen.

Apple crumble pie
[ from Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey ]

It's really important when you are adding the crumble onto the filling, you pressed down quite hard to make sure it attaches. The apples will shrink during cooking, because the topping will be hard, there will be a small gap between the filling and the topping. Sometimes you will get little holes where the filling has collapsed (see mine). No big deal, pie will be just as delicious.



1 batch best ever pie dough


crumble:


1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup rolled oats, not quick oats
1 1/4 firmly packed light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted

filling:


3 medium-sized granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
3 medium-sized macintosh apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
juice of 1/2 a lemon
1/8 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup white sugar
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Roll out pie dough on a lightly floured surface to a 12-inch round. Gently fit the round into a 9-inch pie plate, let excess dough hang over the edge, set aside.

To make the crumble, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and butter in a large bowl. Stir until all the dry ingredients have been moistened and it forms large, wet clumps. Refrigerate until needed.

To make the filling, in another large bowl, combine the apples, lemon juice, flour, sugar, nutmeg, and salt.  toss to combine, making sure all the apples are coated. Pour the filling into the prepared pie pan, trim the edges of the pie dough and fold the edge over and crimp to make a decorative border. I usually pinch my edges to make something fancy, or you could just use the tines of a fork.

Top pie evenly with crumble mixture, you'll have a nice thick crumble, there's a lot there. Make sure to press down while you are adding it to attach the crumble to the filling.

Bake until the crust and crumble are golden brown, about 60 - 75 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for at least 20 minutes before serving. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.