chickpea wrap

Sunday, May 22, 2011
When being in a marriage or any sort of long term relationship, you start to realize that your tastes are different. I'm talking about food.


The husband and I have a lot of favourite foods in common, like sushi, good Italian, real Mexico-style chips with guacamole, big, fresh salads and chocolate cake. But there's also a lot of things he won't eat that I love.

Mostly brown rice and whole grain bread. Or anything remotely healthy.

Cookies, cakes, apple crisp, popcorn and oranges are husband food.


Things like, persimmons, Asian pears, kale, lentils, sweet potatoes and chickpeas are things he will not touch. The list is far too long to describe them all. I don't think he's picky, I just think he doesn't want to try them. It's frustrating, but I gave up trying to force them upon him a very long time ago.


Over the weekend, I made a chickpea salad that gets wrapped up in a chewy piece of lavash bread for my lunches over the week. The chickpea filling had a lot of my favourite things, celery, green onion, fresh dill, lemon juice, greek yogurt and dijon mustard. The hardest part of making the filling was chopping of the herbs and veg. It was one of those salads/fillings that gets better as the days go on. Seriously, on day three of eating these the filling was so creamy and bright. The lemon juice had almost taken over the flavour of the chickpeas and paired with the yogurt and chickpeas it was like spring in a wrap form.


Back to the husband, on Tuesday morning I was preparing our lunches. A chickpea wrap for me with some whole wheat lavash and crispy romaine lettuce and a turkey sandwich on sprouted grain bread with mayonnaise *shudder* . The husband looked over at my wrap and then at his sandwich, and then again at my wrap and said "That wrap looks really good, why don't I have one?"
Me: "I can make you one, it has chickpeas in in."
Husband : "Nevermind."

That's progress right?


Chickpea Wrap
[ adapted from Super Natural Everyday ]


Like I eluded to earlier, this is the perfect thing to make on a Sunday afternoon for lunches for the following week. It gets better and better as time goes on and the flavours start to blend into each other. If you can't find whole wheat lavash, or any lavash for that matter, you can put the filling into a whole wheat tortilla or a pita. Any wrapper that can be stuffed and / or rolled.

3 cups chickpeas, rinsed and drained*
1/3 cup chopped green onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
1 1/2 tablespoons dijon mustard
2/3 cup plain yogurt
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon or more lemon juice and a tiny bit of lemon zest
4 pieces lavash flatbread, whole wheat tortillas or pitas
2 cups mixed greens

In a large bowl, add chickpeas and mash slightly with a fork, just to break them up a little bit. The original recipe called for using the food processor, but I didn't want to dirty another dish, so the fork worked fine. Add in the onion, celery and dill, toss to combine.

In a medium sized bowl, mix together the yogurt, dijon mustard and salt. whisk to combine. Pour about two-thirds of the yogurt mixture over the chickpeas and toss to combine. Add the lemon juice and zest and mix well. Test mixture to make sure you have seasoned it enough, add more lemon juice or salt if need be.

Using the remaining yogurt mixture, spread some over each piece of lavash bread, place about 1/4 of the greens in each wrap and then top with chickpea mixture. Roll and serve.

* I used canned chickpeas, but using homecooked ones would be extra delicious.