banana date smoothie

Wednesday, May 18, 2011
I finally figured out what to do with those dates my mom gave me.


Grind them into a pulp and drink them.

Well okay, it's a little bit more civilized than that.

I'm usually not a fan of drinking my meals, protein shakes give me tummy aches and I don't want to look like this lady . But I looooove milkshakes.

So, yesterday I was eating my snack of a banana and a few dates and it hit me like a ton of bricks. Banana date smoothie. Jennifer, you are a genius.


It's no earth-shattering news that bananas and dates go together like pb & j, but to me it was a big step in not trying to drink chocolate milkshakes for breakfast.

In the blender, I threw together some dates, half a banana, plain yogurt, skim milk and a eensty bit of vanilla extract and turn it on full speed and vĂ³ila ! Smoothie time.


The smoothie is icy cold, smooth, creamy, sweet from the dates and fresh from the banana. Perfect for mid-morning snacks or breakfasts or desserts or pretty much whenever. Maybe not real early in the morning if you don't want to wake the husband who, may or may not be an angry bear in the morning.

That may, or may not be the case in my house.

Banana Date Smoothie

Makes one good sized smoothie.

3 dates, pitted and chopped
1/2 banana
1/2 cup plain or vanilla yogurt
1/4 skim milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
handful of ice cubes

Place all ingredients into a blender and blend for 1-2 minutes or until desired consistency is reached.

Pour into tall glass and enjoy.