chocolate peanut butter popcorn

Friday, March 4, 2011
Did you watch the Oscars ?

I know, I know I'm like a week late on talking about this but I'm slow. 

The husband and I went to my dad's house as his girlfriend always hosts an Oscar party. She is crazy about them , she makes a point of seeing every movie or coming close to. I admire that. To take on something like that and be so in "the know" about what's unfolding and having an educated opinion about who will get the award.

Me? I saw 2 of the movies nominated. Oh yeah, that's how I roll.

I enjoy movies, but I'm not that person who follows the Oscars will real big intent so I don't feel the need to see every movie before the awards. Although now that I've seen who has won each award, I do want to check some of these out. 

So maybe I just work in the reverse. Don't watch any and then once I see who's won what, then I make my decision.

Anyways, the party was good times and of course, I brought a treat. Little bit of back story, anytime my dad hosts a dinner or party, I'm in charge of dessert. Duh. But usually he tells me what he would like. Like orders.

Dad - " An apple pie would be nice. Oh and pumpkin."
          " You know Grandma likes angel food cake. "

Don't take this the wrong way, I like that he asks for things, it means he likes them. But also I like to have creative control. 

Creative control = Chocolate peanut butter popcorn.

I'm borderline obsessed with peanut butter, so when I saw this recipe it was like love at first sight. Peanut butter and chocolate melted over popcorn with a healthy dusting of powdered sugar? Count me in. And honestly what goes better with movies you haven't seen than popcorn?

Chocolate peanut butter popcorn {poppy chow}

9 cups plain popcorn, freshly popped
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Place popcorn in a large bowl.

In a microwave safe bowl, combine chocolate peanut butter and butter, heat at 50% power until mixture is completely melted and smooth. Remove from microwave and stir in vanilla extract.

Pour chocolate mixture over popcorn and using a large, toss to coat each kernel completely. Sift powdered sugar over popcorn, tossing to coat each kernel.

Pour popcorn mixture on a baking sheet, spreading into a single layer and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until chocolate is set. At this point you can break the chunks into single kernel or leave it whole for a more chunky effect.

Store in an airtight container.