caramel popcorn

Wednesday, March 2, 2011
With my cold still gripping my throat and enabling me to no longer sound like a 26 year old woman, rather a 13 year old boy. Maybe I need to make snacks a 13 year old boy would like?

From my experience with men, which really are no different than 13 year old boys, just bigger and have more disposable income to buy important things such as Call of Duty, I have learned a few things.

They like video games, air horns, sugar, junk food, dirt bikes, fast cars, naughty lady pictures and "R" rate movies with big explosions and guns and stuff.

So caramel popcorn kind of fits right? Okay, maybe not but I'd like to think I would know what my inner 13 year old boy would want.

I'm totally wrong.

I'm the biggest girl ever. I wear pink everyday, wear kitten earrings and hate getting dirty.

Who am I kidding, I wanted caramel popcorn. Crunchy, sweet and salty caramel popcorn.

Caramel Popcorn
[ inspired by thekitchn ]

1 package microwave popcorn, natural flavour
1/4 cup white corn syrup
1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt


Pop microwave popcorn according to package instructions. When finished, pour popcorn into a very large bowl.

In a large microwave safe bowl, combine corn syrup, brown sugar and butter. Microwave on high for 2 minutes. Remove from microwave, stir and microwave for another 2 minutes.

Stir in baking soda and vanilla, careful mixture will bubble up a little bit. Pour caramel mixture over popcorn in 3 separate additions, stirring with a large spoon after each addition, making sure to coat each kernel.

Pour popcorn mixture back into the large microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 45 seconds, then stir. Repeat this step 3 more times, should be a total of  four 45 second intervals, with stirring in between each interval.

Pour popcorn onto a baking sheet, spreading into a single layer to cool. While the popcorn is still warm you can separate it into individual kernels or shape into popcorn balls.

Best enjoyed day of, but if there's any left can be stored in an airtight bag. But really, caramel popcorn is like crack, there won't be any leftovers.