chocolate toffee almond cookies

Friday, February 18, 2011
This week has worn me down.

I'm tired. It snowed in parts of Vancouver today. We're being audited at work. My coffee maker is broken. I wanted to make flat bread but forgot that we ran out of salt after I made these cookies.

I forgot that you need to chill the ham stock after you boil the ham hock (to skim the fat) so we ended up eating frozen pizza for dinner.


I tried to cut Jackson's claws and he wiggled out. I got 3 out of 4 paws. That one paw will be deadly.

I need a good days rest. And a cookie.

Or many cookies.

With milk. In a fancy tea cup.

And chocolate. Lots of chocolate.


Chocolate toffee almond cookies
[ inspired by thekitchn ]

1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, dutch process
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup toffee almonds, chopped
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a medium sized bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together butter and sugar on medium speed until fluffy and evenly coloured.  Add eggs, one at a time on low speed, mixing well after each addition.  Add dry mixture and on low speed, mix until just combined with no dry spots. Add toffee almonds and chocolate chips and stir to combine.

Drop a heaping tablespoon of dough on a baking sheet, make sure each dollop is 2 inches apart.

Bake in centre of oven until puffed and still slightly shiny on the top, about 10-12 minutes.

Transfer to rack to cool completely. Serve with a big glass of milk on a bad day where only cookies can help.

If you happen to have any left, store in air tight container for up to three days.