purple cabbage slaw

Wednesday, January 5, 2011
After a couple of weeks of pure butter, sugar, cheese and tortilla chip indulgence, I'm really craving some vegetables. Good hearty vegetables.

Nothing screams vegetables like a head of cabbage. Sometimes cabbage gets a bad rap. I think of boiled cabbage that I used to eat as a child and it sends shivers down my spine.

Nowadays I prefer my cabbage in rolls or in slaw form. Coleslaw is one of the best way to throw a salad together in no time flat. I know you would usually reserve it summer barbeque's and such, but I felt like it last night.

After an ass kicker workout at the gym (my ass needed it after 2 weeks off), I didn't really feel like being gourmet. Sometimes that happens. Actually that happens alot on weeknights. Not uncommon from most households, so unless I make or plan ahead, I will usually just throw something together. I try and plan my meals before I go to grocery store but that never really works out. So I just keep staples around so I can throw something together last minute.

Good cook, yes. Good menu planner, no.


Simply coleslaw


[loosely adapted from Gourmet]

2 1/2 lbs purple cabbage, cored and cut into 3 inch chunks then finely chopped or shredded
4 green onions, finely chopped
1 large carrot, coarsely grated
1 1/4 cups mayonnaise
1/3  cup cider vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar

Toss all vegetable in large bowl with 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
In a small  bowl whisk together mayonnaise, vinegar and sugar. Pour over cabbage mix and toss to coat. Let sit in refrigerator, uncovered for at least an hour. Veggies will start to wilt and the flavours will brighten. Slaw tastes really good on it's own but it also great on top of pulled pork or in tacos.