lentil soup

Saturday, January 29, 2011
You didn't think I'd give you a recipe for biscuits and not follow it up with a recipe to eat the biscuits with.

That would just be mean.

I'm a nice baker, so I'm sharing my soup recipe.

Lentils are one of my favourite things to eat. I don't like eating meat everyday, so I usually replace it with beans of some sort, lentils are one of the best. I like to eat them with brown rice, a side of chopped tomatoes and onions and a dollop of mashed avocado. The husband thinks this is far too healthy for his liking, but eats it anyways since he knows I'm not making him anything else. So when I came home earlier in the week wanting to make lentil soup, I figured he would be a little reluctant to try it. Shockingly I was wrong. He really liked it. Now it may have been that he also had freshly made biscuits to eat with the soup, he did eat 6 with dinner, but he seemed to genuinely like it.

Now when I first read the recipe, I was wondering what sort of flavour it would have since it really doesn't have any seasoning other than salt and pepper. But it was so flavourful, the lentils melted into they wonderful mushy state, but yet they still seemed to have a slight bite to them which is exactly what I love. They don't mush to the point of unrecognition like pea soup, it makes for a thick soup that full of depth and texture.

Lentil soup

[ adapted from Gourmet ]

3 medium sized yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1/4 dice
2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped into 1/4 inch dice
2 celery ribs, chopped into 1/4 inch dice
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 medium onion, chopped fine
2 tablespoons butter or oil
1 pound dried green lentils, picked out and rinsed (about 2 cups)
8 cups low-salt chicken broth

In a large pot, heat butter or oil over medium heat, add potatoes, carrots, celery, garlic and onion and cook until onion is soft, about 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently. Add lentils, broth and salt and pepper to taste. Bring soup to a simmer and let cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes or until soup is thickened and vegetables are soft.

Serve to previous lentil hating husbands with lots of biscuits and soda crackers.