potato leek soup

Monday, November 15, 2010

Today was just one of those days. I woke up mad because it was Monday. I had a giant spot on my face, my hair looked horrible, I mistakenly wrote that book club was on Tuesday night, when really it's on Wednesday causing a stir and it's raining. And it's cold. And the Canucks lost.

It's a soup day.


Like most people, soup gives you that all around warm, fuzzy, comforted feeling that only soup, cookies and kittens can.  Since my husband won't let me come home with anymore kittens and we already have a ton of cookies, soup it was.

After my warm hearty bowl of soup, I feel great. Not so cranky anymore, better news for my husband. Now I need to read at least half that book tonight so I don't look like a complete idiot.


Potato leek soup


[adapted from Serious Eats]

3 large leeks, white and light green parts only
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
6 medium to large Yukon gold potatoes
8 cups low-sodium chicken broth (or vegetable stock or water)
Freshly ground pepper to taste
Crisp bacon pieces for serving (optional)

Slice leeks in half lengthwise and wash thoroughly. Cut crosswise in 1/4 inch thick half-moons. Heat olive oil and butter in large heavy bottomed pot or dutch oven. Add leeks, garlic and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until leeks are soft, but not browned, about 10 minutes.

While leeks are cooking, fill large bowl halfway with water. Peel potatoes, placing in bowl immediately afterwards to prevent browning. Cut each potato in half lengthwise and cut into 1/2 inch half-moons. Drain potatoes and add to pot along with broth. Add a couple good grinds of black pepper. Adjust heat to high and bring mixture to a boil. Once boiling reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until potatoes are quite soft,. about 20 minutes.

Puree soup with an immersion blender or in batches in a food processor or blender. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with crispy bacon or sour cream. Soup keeps well in the refrigerator for up to one week.