apple cinnamon pancake bars

Friday, November 5, 2010

I have 3 food combinations that I cannot resist

Brown sugar and butter

Cream cheese and chocolate

Apples and cinnamon

This recipe involves two of those three. Heaven.




I saw this earlier in the week on one of my favourite websites, thekitchn,  thinking why haven't I done this before ?!?!?!?? This must be the easiest breakfast/brunch ideas I've ever heard of.

My husband and I hosted brunch for Easter one year, for 18 people, in our 850 sq ft apartment. I had to borrow dishes and cutlery from my mother. I remember cooking all morning and not being able to enjoy all the family that was over. Honestly, that's why we cooks always host the parties. We cook amazingly to bribe everyone to come enjoy a party and then we corner you to chat. Believe me it's true.  It's also why the best meals are made in advance or cooked low and slow.

This particular pancake creation was made for a girls weekend in Whistler I'm attending. I can talk about it now since we're on our way up and the surprise is out  (did I mention I love auto-post?). One of my good friends is getting married (bitches) in January to my husband's childhood friend.

I'm extremely excited since I haven't been up to Whistler since the Vancouver 2010 Olympic games and am really looking forward to get away from the city and enjoy the beautiful scenery. Also, I'm excited to Ad drunk off her ass, play silly games and enjoy shenanigans that you can only do when someone is getting married.

I promise not to blog while drunk. Facebook and twitter are not safe though.....

Apple Cinnamon Pancake Bars


The original recipe called for granola in place of the oats, but one of the ladies attending this weekend is allergic to almonds so I subbed it just to be safe. If you were to use oats in place of the granola as well, adding some chopped nuts would be delicious too.


[adapted from thekitchn]


2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
3 tablespoons sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 3/4 cups buttermilk
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 small apple, diced into 1/2" pieces
2 cups old fashioned oats
For Topping:
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Grease and Parchment your choice of baking dish, set aside.  I used a 9x13 Pyrex baking dish, you could use 2 8x8 pans if you want them a little thinner, but I liked them almost cake height. More pancake to love!  Mix dry ingredients and stir with a wire whisk. Add wet ingredients and stir until just barely combined. Add in oats and apples, stirring just until coated. You want your batter to be lumpy with out any dry spots.
Pour into prepared pan. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Allow batter to rest in pans while oven is coming to temperature and mix Streusel topping ingredients in a small bowl. Drizzle over pancake mixture with a fork or use your hands to crumble over (like me) and swirl in with a fork using circular motions to blend. Bake for 12-15 minutes, when touched, it should spring back gently. Note : Since I used one pan and the batter was quite a bit thicker, mine took about 20-25 minutes to cook thoroughly. Remove from oven and remove from pan (parchment paper YAY!) and place on wire rack to cool slightly. 
This recipe can be pre-made to be heated up the next day or can be sliced into individual portions to be placed in the freezer for quick weekday breakfasts. Please remember to pull out of the freezer the night before to maintain that fresh-baked taste!