turkey burgers

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

After 40 straight minutes of Avery crying in her room, exhaustion finally took over and she fell asleep.

I turn to the husband and say, "Let's go downstairs and watch  movies we have on the PVR."

"Nah, let's just go to bed."

"It's 8 o'clock. Isn't that a little early?"

"No, we're parents now. Totally acceptable."


Pausing to think of a response to make him not sound correct I reply, "So what was  our excuse before?"

"We were lazy."

True facts.

By 8:35 pm, we were both in bed. And I have to say, it was glorious.

Of course we didn't sleep through the night, turn down the ridiculous. But it did feel nice to get that head start of sleep.

But before our early night, we enjoyed a warm weather favourite, turkey burgers. It was a balmy 21 degrees C yesterday (that's 69 F for my American friends), so the husband  cleaned up the barbecue and I made burgers.


I don't eat red meat and I encourage the husband not to, so we always have ground turkey in the house as a replacement. I loosely use my mom's recipe for homemade burgers, I just add a whole head of roasted garlic.

The garlic is very prevalent in the burgers, but not so much that it's unenjoyable. But if you are not a garlic fan, first off I'm sorry, second this is not for you.


Turkey burgers
Makes 4 patties.


1 lb lean ground turkey, preferably a 85/15 split
1 head roasted garlic
1 large egg
3 tablespoons fine bread crumbs
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
dash of worcestershire sauce


In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients and mix with hands until thoroughly combined. Using a spoon would work too, but your hand are much more fun.

Shape mixture into 4 equal sized patties. Place a on hot grill, about 375 - 400 degrees. Cook for 5 minutes, then flip.  Continue cooking for another 5 minutes or until juices run clear and the inside is no longer pink.

Serve on freshly baked kaiser rolls with your favourite toppings. Mine are mustard, pan fried mushrooms, pickles, lettuce and tomato.