digestive biscuits

Thursday, March 15, 2012


There are certain things I never expect the husband to say. 

"Of course I'll cook dinner, and do the dishes, and clean up, and feed the baby, and pour you unlimited glasses of wine."

" I think we aren't busy enough, so let's get another kitten."


" No, I don't mind if you spend hundreds of dollars on tiny pink clothes."

" These cookies would be better without the chocolate."

All of these seem far too ridiculous to be true.... Except for the last statement. That sentence was actually spoken after the husband took a bite out of one of the homemade digestive cookies I made. 


I turned and looked at him, with complete shock spread all across my face. You, the man who tells me I should put chocolate in everything I bake, is telling me these cookies would be better WITHOUT the addition of chocolate?!?!?!?!?!

If I wasn't holding the baby, I may have fallen over. 

While we all recover from the events that just happened, let's go over the cookies shall we?

They taste exactly like the store bought version, but mine were slightly thicker. They are sweet, crunchy, nutty, and coated with the perfect amount of chocolate. 



Homemade digestive biscuits
[ adapted from the little loaf ]

1 1/4 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 - 2 teaspoons milk
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped 


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

In a food processor, pulse the oats until they have reached a fine powder, about 2 minutes. Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, and butter, blend until a crumbly dough forms. Slowly add milk until the dough comes together in a smooth mass. Form dough into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes. 

Once chilled, roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut out desired shapes, I used a quarter-pint mason jar to achieve a round shape. Place shapes onto cookies sheets and bake for 15 minutes, or until cookies begin to brown around the edges. Remove cookies from pan and let cool completely on a wire rack.


While the cookies are cooling, melt the chocolate in a shallow bowl. ( I used the microwave, set for a minute at a time until desired consistency is achieved. Any longer in the microwave will burn the chocolate.) Dip one side of the cooled cookie into the melted chocolate,  making sure to evenly spread it around. Place cookie back on baking rack, dipped side up, to set.

Store leftovers at room temperature, in an airtight container for up to 3 days.