pear bread

Sunday, January 22, 2012

First World problems.

They happen from time to time.

I had one earlier in the week, I was cutting up a giant pear for my mid-morning snack, only to see that it had big, brown spots all throughout. I tried cutting them out and eating around it, but the pear was mealy and gross.


I couldn't bear to throw it away. There was about 3/4 of the pear left and it could be used for something I'm sure. So I packed it away in plastic wrap and tucked it away in my lunch bag.

I needed a recipe to use up my pear.

Time was limited.


I wanted something that I could eat as a snack or for breakfast. Something quick and easy.

Muffins weren't on my radar, scones ? Too labour intensive.

Cake? Sure why not.

Well technically the recipe I found was for a pear bread, but I wouldn't call this a bread.


It's baked in a tube pan (or two loaf pans), so number one, it looks like a cake. Second, the way it bakes up makes a crunchy, sweet, sugar crust that makes the cake taste like a giant doughnut. Or at least I think it does.

It's sweet, has a delicate crumb, sort of like a coffee cake without the streusel. It's perfect.

The perfect way to save an uneatable pear.


Pear bread
[ from Smitten Kitchen ]

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup butter, softened
3 eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups white sugar
2 large pears, peeled, cored and grated to make around 2 cups
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 10-inch tube pan or two 9x5-inch loaf pans.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Whisk to stir thoroughly. In another large bowl, stir together the butter, eggs, sugar, grated pears, and the vanilla extract until well blended. I did this by hand with a wooden spoon, but you could also use a hand or stand mixer.

Scrape the pear mixture into the flour mixture and stir until the flour just disappears and the mixture is completely moistened. Transfer batter into the prepared pan(s).


Bake for 60 - 70 minutes or until tester inserted into the middle comes out clean. Let rest on wire rack for 10 minutes before inverting onto a plate or on to the rack to cool completely.