crab, artichoke + spinach dip

Monday, January 16, 2012

The husband thought I was going to have the babe today.

An entire month early.

It didn't happen.

He like to act all cool saying he wasn't serious, but he was.

(Hi honey, I know you're reading this.)

He does remind me constantly, "You know, the baby is coming."

"Yes I know."

" Like tomorrow."

"No, not tomorrow. Soon, yes."

"You should pack your hospital bag."

"You should pack yours too."

This conversation happens every night. I do not kid.


I still have not packed my hospital bag.

I wrote about this dip instead.

It's my mom's recipe. She makes it all the time and everyone loves it. I stole the recipe and do the same thing.

The last time I made it, I think it lasted 15 minutes on the table before it was all gone.

It's baked with cheese, warm, creamy, perfect with tortilla chips and dead simple to make. It's finger food, baked with cheese, how can you go wrong?

Sometimes I make it with spinach, sometimes I don't. It all depends on your mood. I do definitely think the spinach rounds it out a bit more, but it's not necessary.


Crab, artichoke + spinach dip
[ from Jen's mom ]

1 8oz package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 can lump crab meat, drained
1 15oz can artichoke hearts, roughly chopped
1 9oz box frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed to drain
juice of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon biryani curry paste *
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided

In a large bowl, or the bowl of your stand mixer, combine the cream cheese, mayonnaise and garlic, beat on medium speed until well combined and smooth, about 3 minutes. Scrape down sides of bowl, add the crab meat, artichoke hearts, spinach, lemon juice and curry paste. Beat until well combined. Fold in 1/4 cup of the cheese.

Scrape the mixture into a shallow, oven-safe dish (I usually use a pie plate), spreading evenly throughout. Sprinkle the top with the remaining cheese.

Bake at 350 until heated through and bubbling, about 25 - 30 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving with tortilla chips or pita chips.

* Biryani curry paste can be found in most ethnic sections of major grocery stores.