peppermint meringues

Friday, December 16, 2011

The husband and I had a bit of an arguement last week.

It was about cookies.

I kid you not.


I have a bad habit of making a whole bunch of cookies (duh, I write a baking blog), eating one cookie, then not touching the rest.

I don't see it as a problem, my co-workers and my waistline love it.


The husband has zero self control when it comes to treats. Remember how he ate 12 apple turnovers? He is a cookie monster.

His thought process is that if he eats them all, then they are gone and they won't tempt him anymore.


Is anyone else thinking that maybe eating an entire batch of cookies is a bad idea? Me neither.

So he's grounded me from baking cookies.

At least until after Christmas.

But crunchy, minty, pretty meringues don't really count right?


I didn't think so.

Peppermint meringues
[ from Bon Appetit ]

3 large egg whites, room temperature
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1/3 cup white sugar
1/2 cup icing sugar
1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract
12 drops red food colouring

Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchement paper, set aside.

Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites on medium speed until white and foamy. With the mixer still running, add the sugar in 3 seperate additions, beating for 2 minutes after each addition. Once all the sugar has been added, beat until stiff peaks form, about 2 minutes.

Add the peppermint extract and the icing sugar, beat to blend, about 1 minute. Dot the top of the beaten egg whites with the red food colouring, do not stir or swirl, it will swirl when you pipe it.


Spoon in to a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch round tip or with the large star tip (which I used) and pipe onto baking sheets, about 1 inch apart.

Bake until dry, around 2 1/2 hours. Remove from oven and let stand for 1 hour. Meringues will crisp as they cool. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.