pumpkin spice muffins

Friday, September 23, 2011

I'm about halfway through my pregnancy, but I've learned a few things that no book seems to tell you.

Ladies, be prepared. Moms, you probably already know this.

Your nose is stuffed up. Constantly.

People will call you fat because they think it's appropriate. It's not. They are very rude. Just walk away knowing they will stub their toe later on. Karma.

It really is not comfortable to bend over. Plus, you think you're squishing the baby. Which you're probably not, but still you worry.


You cuddle a lot. No, not with your partner. With your new BFF, the body pillow. 

You make a delicious lunch, including pumpkin spice muffins and have absolutely no desire to eat it. Instead, you eat snap peas and triscuits for lunch.

How could I not want to eat a pumpkin spice muffin? 

They are the epitome of fall. September = pumpkin flavoured things. 

These particular muffins were made after a trip to a Starbucks. I saw this delicious looking pumpkin muffin with cream cheese in the centre and I had to have it. 

It was okay.  Needed more spice. 

The search was on to re-create them. I went to my trusty friend Pinterest, and of course, it did not disappoint. 


The muffins are spicy with all of my favourite fall flavours, cloves, cinnamon, allspice, pumpkin and of course, one of my favourite combinations, cream cheese and sugar.

Even 5 year olds love them. Even cream cheese haters love them. 

Why the hell didn't I want to eat them today ?

Hormone fail.

Pumpkin spice muffins with cream cheese
[ adapted from Annie's Eats ]

I made some slight changes from the original. I didn't use the topping and I didn't miss it, but feel free. I also changed the cream cheese insertion technique. The original recipe asks for you to spoon a small amount of batter into the muffin tin, just enough to cover the bottom, then add the cream cheese, then top with more batter, sealing making sure cream cheese is not exposed. I tried that in the first 12, too freaking messy. For the second 12, I scooped the batter into the muffin cups, filling 3/4 full. Then I added a tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture on top and smooshed it into the middle, leaving a little bit exposed in the top. Do whatever makes you happy, I personally like the second method better.

filling:

8oz package cream cheese, room temperature
2 cups icing sugar

muffin batter:

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
4 large eggs
2 cups white sugar
2 cups pumpkin puree
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil

To make the filling, beat together the cream cheese and sugar using a handheld mixer or a stand mixer, until mixture is light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Transfer filling to a small bowl and place in refrigerator until ready to use. 

Pre heat oven to 350 degrees, line 2 standard muffin tins with liners and set aside. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, pumpkin pie spice, salt, and baking soda. Whisk to combine thoroughly and set aside. 

In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the eggs, sugar, pumpkin puree, and vegetable oil. Mix on medium-low until mixture is well combined. Note: I found the eggs didn't break up that well, so you might need to poke at them a bit to break the yolk. Turning the mixer down to low speed, add in the flour mixture and stir until just combined. 

Spoon batter into muffin tins, 3/4 full. Spoon a tablespoon of the filling into the centre, push down into the muffin, leaving the top exposed. 

Bake for 30 - 35 minutes, until top spring back when pressed and a tester comes out clean. Let cool completely on the rack before serving, otherwise all the cream cheese will goo out.