bacon, lettuce, avocado + tomato (aka the BLAT)

Wednesday, July 6, 2011
I'm kind of in a baking/cooking funk.

I think everyone, at some point in time gets into one. I've bookmarked tons of recipes, bought delicious, local ingredients, like strawberries. but instead of making a pie, I just eat them. By the bucketful.

I have a theory that my funk has come just as summer has started in Vancouver. After the crappiest June ever, we finally have gotten some heat and sunshine. I just want to sit on patios, drinking lemonade, soaking in the sun, warming my skin, soothing my soul with warmth.


The problem is I need to eat at some point. The husband doesn't think it's acceptable to eat strawberries and lemonade for dinner.

Sigh....

So, other than grilled burgers, we've been eating alot of sandwiches. Especially bacon, lettuce, avocado and tomato sandwiches. Otherwise known as a "BLAT". The husband loves it because he thinks bacon should be it's own food group and I like it cause it's easy.

Since everyone knows how to make a sandwich (or we'd like to hope so), I won't give a formal recipe, just a run through of what to do. And go.

Pan fry 4 slices of bacon until crispy. Hide from fat husband fingers.


Take a loaf of your favourite organic bread or buns, the more creative name the better. Slice 4 slices.


Slice a juicy, red tomato into slices. I like lots of tomato, so I cut lots. Also cut open an avocado, if you're making 2 sandwiches, you should only need one, and cut into slices.


Spread some mayo on one slice of the husbands bread, none on mine, then place the avocado slices on the opposing slice of bread, top with tomato slices, a slice of provolone cheese, leaves of romaine lettuce and 2 slices of bacon.


Secure the sandwich with toothpicks and slice in half. Serve with your favourite rice and adzuki bean chips and lots of lemonade.