lemon buttermilk sherbet

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Lately, I've been completely unmotivated to cook anything.

We have so many leftovers and since I spend the long weekend cooking, my inspiration has disappeared temporarily.

I spend all my time watching hockey, riding the emotional roller coaster that was round one against the Blackhawks, or eating Easter chocolate or exercising to burn off the handfuls of mini-eggs I had for breakfast.


Luckily for you, I have a cache of goodies I baked/cooked/churned over the weekend.
I need a spark, I need a recipe that will inspire me to cook again, I need a nap.

Until then, enjoy this recipe for lemon buttermilk sherbet that I served along with that lovely tart over the Easter weekend.


It's creamy and tart, but not puckering. The buttermilk adds this sour-sweetness which seems to fit perfect along with the lemon flavour. Went really, really well with the blackberry tart. Or with mini-eggs.

Lemon Buttermilk Sherbet
[ from Ice Cream! ]


For a more exact time for churning, I had to churn my mixture for 35 minutes for a consistency I liked. I have a Cuisinart 2qt. ice cream maker.

1 1/4 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 5 - 8 lemons)
1 1/2 cups super-fine sugar
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 3/4 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt

Pour the lemon juice into a large saucepan. Over medium heat, bring juice to boil and reduce by about half, around 15 minutes. Add sugar and stir until dissolved. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.

Add the buttermilk, cream, corn syrup and salt into the lemon mixture. Place in refrigerator and chill for at least 2 hours. Churn in an ice cream maker according to manufacturers instructions. Transfer ice cream to a freezer safe container and place in the freezer for at least an hour before serving.