apple scones

Friday, April 22, 2011
Every cook has that one instrument in the kitchen that they can never quite get right.

For me, it's the box grater.

Oh I know how to use it, but every single, gosh darned time I use it, I grate my fingers.

Today, for example, I grated not only the knuckle on my thumb but also the tips of my index and middle finger. ON THE OTHER HAND.

Like Jen, get your crap together, it's a grater. It's not that hard to use. For Christs sake your mom bought you an electric grater, why do you insist on using the box grater?!?!

Sigh.

I think I'll need to wear Kevlar gloves next time I use the damn thing.

These scones, thankfully, do not need anything grated. They are fluffy, not very sweet and are lovely with chunks of apple. But if you have other fruits laying around, such as blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, even scallions and cheese for a savoury version, you can use those. Maybe you should make them for say 3:00 am on April 29th? I heard there's a big event. I'm not gonna lie, I'm staying up to watch it.

Apple Scones
[ adapted from smitten kitchen ]

2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon aluminum-free baking powder*
1 teaspoon baking soda
6 ounces butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 cup pink lady apple pieces, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces (or 1 cup fruit of your choice)
1 cup buttermilk
cinnamon sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper, set aside.

Place cubed butter into the freezer for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, place flour, sugar, baking powder and soda into the food processor and pulse to combine.

Add butter to flour mixture and pulse until the butter and flour mixture has the texture of coarse cornmeal. Add buttermilk and fruit and mix until just combined.

Turn dough out on to a lightly floured surface and knead gently, just a few times to help the dough come together. Pat out dough to about 1 inch thick and cut into squares. Cut squares in half diagonally to make triangles. Sprinkle tops of triangles with cinnamon sugar.

Transfer scones to prepared pans, leaving about 2 inches between each scone and bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to rack to cool completely.

*it's important to use aluminum-free baking powder if you are using fresh fruit in a scones. If you use regular baking powder, your scones will come out with a blue colour and they might have a tin-y taste. I use aluminum-free baking powder in all my baking just to be sure.