sunday reflections + balsamic dressing

Sunday, March 13, 2011
Friday was a beyond stressful day.

After hearing the tragic news, heard around the world about the devastating earthquake and tsunami that followed, I was in complete shock. 
bean. Interrupting my blogging with her cuteness.
I don't need to recap the details, because we've all been inidated with photos and videos that were too terrifying to recount.
This disaster really hit home when they announced the tsunami warning for the coast of British Columbia and realizing that we live on the EXACT same seismic plate. Should a large earthquake ever happen in this area, we would be going through the same thing as Japan. It was like watching our potential future unfold. I'm not a conspiracy theorist or some crazy person who's going to go into a panic, waiting for this day to come, but it just seemed to give me a gut check you know?
cat in a blanket.

Anyways, I still can't take my eyes off anything Japan related, but I'm really trying not to buy into the fear mongering.
To help, I sat on the couch on Saturday after a nice walk home from Jazzercise , in the rain might I add. Very nice for reflecting and just having a nice moment with my music playing in the background. Great for my hair? Not so much.

I eventually got off my ass to shower (the husband did tell me I stunk, nice guy I know) and start making my mom's homemade bolognese sauce. Recipe will follow eventually, it's sort of a cook by memory recipe. Means I actually have to measure before I share with you lovely people.  I'll get to it, I promise. 

But I do have a recipe to share! Hold on to your hats, it's salad dressing.
bean. Keeping an eye on my wine.

I know, this is a baking blog, for christs sake the name is the baked life! But sometimes, we like salads before our butter/sugar gluttony. Actually we love salads here. Everyone could use a little more greenery.
This dressing is super basic, but like most things that are really simple, crazy delicious. The hardest part was mincing the garlic. 

Please make this. It's much better than store bought.

I promise. You'll never doubt me again.

Balsamic dressing

Makes 3/4 cup.

3 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup olive oil

Whisk together first 4 ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Gradually pour in oil, whisking as you pour. Season to taste with salt and pepper. 

Can be made up to 8 hours ahead, let stand at room temperature for at least 15 minutes before using. Re whisk to blend as needed. 
box cat strikes again.
ps. Sorry for the lack of pictures. I played with an extremely cute one year old. Baby giggles = distracted cook.