red sauce ribs

Monday, November 8, 2010


Most days I could care less about eating meat, I'm sort of a flexitarian. I can't eat red meat due to a intolerance to it, so most days I'll eat a small amount of chicken or turkey or some days no meat at all. I've sort of weaned my husband off eating large amounts of meat as well, but I can't expect him to be perfect, I know he will eat a 12oz steak if put in front of him, but everything in moderation is okay.



Lately I've been absolutely carnivorous for meat. Any sort of meat, chicken, tuna, turkey and pork. After the weekend I had, I needed a meal that was warm, full of meat and that would fill my belly in prep for an amazing sleep in my own bed. I've been especially craving my mom's red sauce ribs.

My mom is an amazing cook, probably where my sister and I get it from. She makes a killer lasagna, great salad dressing and she is an awesome baker like me. She also makes these ribs that when I start to think about them, I drool.  Its very ladylike.  Like most families when you think about what you're mom used to make, it evokes certain memories. For me, making my mom's recipes reminds me that what you make or create is really a labour of love that you want to share with your family.

When I originally asked my mom for this recipe a few years ago, she like always, just gave me a list of ingredients and the temperature to cook it at. No measurements. She has a habit of doing that. I think it's because she's been making them for so long that she doesn't need the measurements anymore or maybe that's how she received the recipe from my grandmother. After some coaxing, she will tell you the measurements and more specific instructions. Some recipes you won't get anything more.

This recipe is a perfect winter weekend recipe. It's very warm and filling and it takes a few hours to cook, perfect for an evening of relaxing with your family.

Red Sauce Ribs

This recipe can easily be adapted to be cooked in the slow cooker, just omit the 1/2 cup of water and cook in the slow cooker on low for 8 hours. You won't get the caramelization on the meat like you would in the oven, but they are still fall off the bone tender and just as delicious.

2-3 lbs pork back ribs
3 ribs celery, roughly chopped
1 onion, roughly chopped
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon Worcester sauce
a few dashes Tabasco sauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine ketchup, vinegar, water, mustard powder, Worcester and Tabasco in a large oven safe dish. I used my 9x13 Pyrex baking dish. Taste the ketchup mixture, should be sour and feel like you should be puckering. Add onions and celery to the mixture. Place ribs into mixture, the mixture won't cover them but just toss the ribs in the sauce to coat them.
Bake for 1 hour 30 mins or until meat falls easily off the bone. Sometimes it takes up to 2 hours depending on the oven. Basting will be required throughout the cooking process to ensure the ribs are moist.

Serve alongside cooked rice and make sure to top your rice with some of the extra sauce.