peanut butter oatmeal monster cookies

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Today we went to go visit my grandma. She rocks. She fed us caesar salad in cocktail bowls. She's going to Egypt in February. On her own. She's 71.  I think that's rad.


Since we went visiting Grandma, I didn't get a chance to shop for any groceries today. Since we've been baking and blogging for almost thirty days straight now, we're getting low on the essentials at the baked life. I have less than a cup of flour, poured the last bit of sugar into my container, 2 tablespoons of butter (if that) and zero chocolate chips. We need a serious replenishing.

I'm hoping to write my Christmas baking list and head across the border this week or weekend to shop for ingredients. Why not shop at home ? Because butter is a hell of a lot cheaper in the United States and when you buy an average of 14 lbs for Christmas baking, it makes a difference. Plus I love Fred Meyer and Target.

Since I have almost nothing, well okay not really but missing alot of crucial baking ingredients, I had to find a recipe that used little to no flour and/or butter. I came across this recipe from the kitchn which was in their gluten free roundup. Ingredient check; peanut butter, check. Sugar, check. Oats, check. Butter, err no. So I swapped the butter with come coconut oil. Niiiiiice.

These cookies taste like a peanut butter granola bar. Plus they're gluten free so I pawn them off on my sister. Double bonus.

Peanut butter oatmeal monster cookies


[ loosely adapted from the kitchn ]

1/2 cup coconut oil *
1 1/2 cups crunchy natural peanut butter, well mixed
1 cup brown sugar, loosely packed
1/2 cup white sugar
3 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 teaspoons baking soda
4 1/2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1 cup chocolate mix-ins **

Pre heat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

Beat together sugars, coconut oil and peanut butter until combined. Mix in eggs and vanilla. Then add baking soda, followed by the oats and the mix-ins.

Drop onto a cookie sheet using an ice cream scoop*** and flatten slightly. Bake for 8-10 minutes, don't not over bake! They will turn golden brown slightly on the top. Let cool on baking sheets for a few minutes to set and then finish cooling on a wire rack.

Nom nom nom with your favourite monster or give them away to your sister to fatten her up.




* can also use butter.
** I used a leftover chocolate bar, chopped up.
*** I used my biggest ice cream scoop and got 2 dozen cookies. If the recipe title has monster in it, the cookies better be big.